The AFRICA BUILD Portal proposes you a new course entitled "Social Networks for Medicine: A practical approach" (SNS4M) produced by experts of the Biomedical Informatics Group at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid.
This course comprises all the experience acquired during the 3-years development of the AFRICA BUILD Portal. It introduces the student to the use of Social Networking Services (SNSs) in the medical area.
SNS4M is mainly divided into three big blocks: (1) The evolution of the Web and SNSs in medicine; (2) The creation of your first SNSs; and (3) Evaluation of SNSs. This is an advanced course, so previous knowledge and experience on web programming is required. However, this course has been modularized so different backgrounds could follow it. These three blocks are independent, so a student with no knowledge on web programming could follow the first and the third blocks and thus accomplish some of the stated learning objectives.
By the end of this course participants should be able to:
- Understand the road to the Social Web.
- Propose new ideas towards the implementation of Medical SNSs.
- Install and configure Elgg (The Open Source Software Social Engine).
- Implement complex plugins to customize Elgg to predefined requirements.
- Define, design and code SNSs from scratch.
- Evaluate success of communities.